Assessing and Improving Community Health in Wisconsin
Walworth County Health Department of Health and Human Services
Goal: To improve the health and wellbeing of Walworth County residents by decreasing addictive behaviors surrounding alcohol, tobacco, and prescription and illegal drug use.
Objective: Create and implement curriculum to be used with elementary school students starting in 3 rd grade to educate on addictive behaviors and teach prevention and coping skills. Implement program in at least 3 school districts by 2020.
- Survey Students
- Work with schools
- Train community members in curriculum
- Develop student/family assistance programs
Objective: Increase employee use of employee assistance programs, decreasing absenteeism and increasing productivity.
- Survey Businesses
- Work with businesses to provide/increase available resources in EAP’s for addictive behaviors
Objective: Increase community wide awareness of the scope of the problem and resources available to help, changing the perception of addiction from a moral failing to a chronic disease.
- Develop and implement an awareness campaign
- Identify gaps in services
- Decrease gaps in services
Goal: To improve health, fitness, and the quality of life for residents of Walworth County through daily physical activity and positive nutritional behaviors.
Objective: Increase accessibility to culturally competent diabetes education in at least 5 of the municipalities inWalworth County by December 1, 2020.
- Research diabetic education programs
- Train volunteers from area churches
- Initiate education program at churches
- Expand program to other community groups
Objective: By 2020, at least one school in each school district will meet the standards of enhanced physical education programs.
- Establish current status of physical education
- Meet with school districts
- Encourage improvements in physical education classes
Objective: Create or promote at least one new opportunity for physical activity for individuals under the age of 18 in 5 municipalities inWalworth County.
- Implement UNICEF Kid Power Program
- Collaborate with community partners
- Provide education opportunities on reducing screen time and alternate activities
Objective: Create or promote at least one new opportunity for physical activity for adults in 5 municipalities in Walworth County.
- Inventory available fitness programs
- Work with existing partners to increase availability/accessibility to programs
- Publish free exercise opportunities
- Work with schools to allow access to fitness facilities
- Promote knowledge of available physical activity opportunities
Objective: Increase access to healthy food by creating 6 additional school gardens in Walworth County by 2020.
- Meet with schools to determine current status
- Identify and apply for funding
- Collaborate with local stakeholders to establish gardens
- Collaborate with partners to incorporate farm to table
Objective: By 2020 introduce a Point-of-Purchase nutrition campaign at convenience stores, restaurants, or grocery stores in the major municipalities of Walworth County.
- Investigate the Food Trust Toolkit or other campaigns
- Identify incorporation of incentives
- Meet with targeted businesses
- Provide support to participating businesses
Goal: To increase access to oral healthcare in Walworth County for the uninsured and underinsured residents of Walworth County.
Objective: Develop a dental coalition to address access to oral health care in Walworth County.
- Recruit members to the dental coalition
- Identify member roles and responsibilities
- Develop action plan and timeline for coalition activities
Objective: Increase capacity for dental providers to care for target population
- Develop partnership agreements
- Develop program for grad-student position in public health dentistry
- Secure funding
- Hire provider
Objective: Enhance community education of positive oral practices.
- Campaign on early dental development
- Campaign on maintaining good oral health
- Campaign on preventing oral health disease
Goal: Walworth County will support suicide prevention and depression treatment by connecting residents with a range of mental health resources.
Objective: By January 31, 2017 WSPEAC will increase the number of partners to 20 active participants.
- Add community groups systematically including schools, medical providers, law enforcement, faith-based, and volunteer organizations
Objective: By May 31, 2018, five community organizations will receive presentations about depression, suicide and prevention, raising awareness about the problem and resources for help. This will include information on how depression manifests itself in different populations based on age and heritage such as teens, elderly, adults in both theAnglo and Hispanic populations.
- Collect data
- Select evidence-based practices and implement
- Measure and evaluate results
- Adjust presentation and projects
Objective: By May 31, 2018, five of the schools located in Walworth County will have implemented an evidence-based program in the area of suicide prevention and depression education for students in grades 6 through 12
- Invite all school districts inWalworth County to join WSPEAC
- Identify evidence based programs
- Establish log of currently used evidence based program in schools
- Publish findings
- Educate districts on theYouth Behavior Risk Survey
- Provide opportunities for product review of programs to school districts and determine if recommendation is warranted
Objective: Develop a public media campaign about suicide prevention, depression awareness and options for help that addresses multiple age groups, ethnicities and cultures to reach diverse residents of Walworth County.
- Develop a campaign
- Develop and implement train the trainer initiative on Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR)
- Train community members
- Facilitate presentations
- Collect and analyze data
Increase the number of municipalities and waterworks facilities that adjust their water to the optimum level of fluoride.
- Assess status of public water programs for fluoridation
- Work with city and state governments to influence policy change
- Provide community education campaign