Assessing and Improving Community Health in Wisconsin
Florence County Health Department
Goal 1: Decrease binge drinking among all Florence County residents from 28% to 23% by December 31, 2020.
Strategy 1: Implement school curriculum - Lion's Quest (a K-12 comprehensive youth development program that promotes social and emotional learning (SEL), character education, bullying prevention, drug awareness, and service learning.)
Strategy 2: Media campaign- Mass media campaigns utilize television, radio, print, and social media to increase awareness of underage drinking and its consequences. Campaigns may also include efforts to provide adults with the knowledge and skills to take actions that help prevent underage drinking.
- The coalition will implement several aspects of the campaign during 2015-2016 including: National campaign - Above the Influence; School and community presentations, including motivational speakers and addiction and recovery speakers; Press releases, print ad; Radio PSAs
Strategy 3: Social Host Ordinance-Social host liability refers to laws that hold non-commercial individuals responsible for underage drinking events on property they own, lease, or otherwise control. Whereas laws prohibiting furnishing alcoholic beverages to underage persons target providing alcoholic beverages to underage persons, social host laws target providing the venue where underage drinking takes place.
Goal 1: Decrease % of Florence County residents using prescription drugs for recreation or without a prescription by 5% by December 31, 2020
- By January 2016, increase the proportion of the twelve key sectors for local coalitions that are represented on the Florence County AODA Coalition.
- Drug take-back days & sharps disposal
Goal 1: By December 31, 2020 there will be a decrease in hospitalizations or completed suicides among Florence County residents from 12 to 10.
Goal 2: Increase percentage of emergency contacts with HSD resulting in a diversion/safety plan from 63% to 73% by Dec. 31 2020
- Education campaign: Impact of Suicide training, Advertise current available resources, Bright Minds, Northpointe Mental Health First aid course for coalition members, Newspaper articles/advertisements
- Mentoring programs: Rainbows, KAMO (Kids and Mentors Outdoors), Support school Positive Behavior Integration System (PBIS)
- Positive Alternative Activities: Parent Cafes, Summer School Food, Fun & Fitness USDA Food program, Swimming and ski lessons, Archery program, Strengthening Families classes